Friday, March 27, 2009

pigs in protest

Chicago is trying really hard to get the bid for the 2016 Olympics. Those little banner flags that go on streetlights and other city poles are everywhere advertising. The street that goes by Washington Park that used to look like the surface of the moon was just paved in a day. Of course, there's massive objection to the Olympics coming to Chicago. I don't need to get into all of those details.

What I did want to tell you about is that the International Olympics Committee is coming to town next week to evaluate Chicago. April 2 is being seen as an opportunity to gain leverage through potentially embarrassing Daley by community organizations like STOP...and the police. The Chicago Police department union- called the Fraternal Order of Police- is planning to protest Daley for rescinding a pay raise that was supposed to happen. They're going to picket city hall. I can't stop feeling thrilled at the prospect of the police picketing...it's such a glorious reversal of the way things work. I hope Daley doesn't give in before they do it.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/1496807,CST-NWS-picket26.article

No comments: