We became facebook friends a couple weeks or months ago, and said our original hellos. Recently she sent me a message saying she was impressed by the piece in the Nation, and that I should let her know the next time I'm in NY and if she can be of help with magazine and book worlds.
I said thanks, and I hoped the politics of the article weren't too weird, and that I would probably take her up on the career assistance offer because in six months I'll find myself needing one.
She said the politics were no surprise, I'd already seen you in all those photos with keffiyehs! and then she said this:
"Also, the last line of your email: '...when I realize I'm graduating college and dont have a career'—when i was in that situation, I called a literary agent I'd worked for one summer and told her she had to help me find a job for when i graduated and she said, 'absolutely not. take the summer off--it's the last time you can do that. do something you'll never get to do again, then come back to NY and I'll help you.'
So off I went to Woods Hole for the summer. And, behold, the marvelous Tevah sisters! one of the best decisions I've made."
So now we're the age that she was when she used to bake challahs with us and pick wildflowers and press them onto notecards and sell our our wares and maple syrup at the Saturday morning market.
The world can be surprisingly symmetrical.
1 comment:
so where to now, my love?
Post a Comment